For the stable Slicer documentation, visit the 4.8 page.
3D Slicer is:
- A software platform for the analysis (including registration and interactive segmentation) and visualization (including volume rendering) of medical images and for research in image guided therapy.
- A free, open source software available on multiple operating systems: Linux, MacOSX and Windows
- Extensible, with powerful plug-in capabilities for adding algorithms and applications.
- Multi organ: from head to toe.
- Support for multi-modality imaging including, MRI, CT, US, nuclear medicine, and microscopy.
- Bidirectional interface for devices.
There is no restriction on use, but Slicer is not approved for clinical use and intended for research. Permissions and compliance with applicable rules are the responsibility of the user. For details on the license see here