We all agree it involves a lot of steps. To simplify this process, the idea would be to provide a set of git custom command automating most of it.
The proposed improvement would be:
1. Clone the ExtensionsIndex
2. Checkout either
4. run this command:
git prepare-extension-update /path/to/description-file.s4ext
- locally create the topic "update-<ExtensionName>[-X.Y]" or "add-<ExtensionName>[-X.Y]"
- generate meaningful commit message if possible (for svn and git based repo)
- associate compare link if possible
5. Then, if everything look good:
This would publish the topic on your fork and submit the pull request