The error log dialog is accessible from View -> Error Log or via the Ctrl+0 shortcut.
All the outputs (errors, warnings, messages, information) generated by the application and modules are gathered in this dialog. This readout is useful for reporting bugs or usability problems back to the Slicer Development Team.
The dialog is split in 2 parts, the top section is a digest listing of outputs that are merged by type and time. If multiple errors are output within a short period (<1ms) of time from a given component, they will show up as 1 item in the digest list. The bottom section of the dialog prints all the details of the digest list. Selecting one or multiple items in the digest list, results in the printing of all merged lines in the detailed bottom list.
When reporting a bug on the mailing list or in the bug tracker, it is valuable information to include a dump of the errors that appear in the Error Log dialog.
To capture the entire error log for a report
Open the Report bugs and request enhancements window, which is accessible from Help -> Report a bug.
- The window shows the current log by default, which can be copied to clipboard easily by pressing the button below
- Recent logs can be explored by selecting an entry in the Recent log files dropdown
Analyze error log
Error log viewer applications can be used for convenient searching and filtering of error logs.
For example, [logging.apache.org/chainsaw/ Apache Chainsaw] log viewer can load and parse Slicer logs using this configuration:
- Select Process a log file
- Log file URL: choose use Open File... button to select file
- Log file format type: PatternLayout format
- Log file format:
[LEVEL][LOGGER] TIMESTAMP [CLASS] (FILE) - MESSAGE
- Log file timestamp format: