From Slicer Wiki
Home < Slicer4:DownloadPackage
This page contains a wishlist, plans, and assignments for the appearance and user experience of the Slicer 4 downloadable executables
- Asks if it should be made the default application for .mrml and .nrrd files (ron says yes for mrml).
- Reduce the size of the download package
- 64bit versions for all supported platforms (or as close as is reasonable)
- check for old version of Slicer. If present ask if to adopt the preferences and customizations
- offer a registration: accept, later or opt out as options, sign up for mailing list: user list checked by default, developer unchecked by default
- speed up the download statistics display on the download page
- add monitoring of svn checkouts as a separately tracked entity (users versus developers)
- data base to manage registrations
- registration form schema
- extensions should be available
- SVN number should be the same for all the nightlies as the one showing on the dashboard ("XX files changed by 3 authors as of Wednesday, May 25 2011 23:00:00 EDT")
- Window uninstall should allow to clean up everything,
including the registry settings. Note: Ini files are used on windows to store the settings.
- when Slicer is running, the Slicer icon in the Taskbar has a border around the icon. This looks ugly.
Apple Mac OS X
- Apple install should behave like other apple applications
- See ClamXav for an example.
- When Slicer is running, then the icon in the dock should be the slicer icon. Right now its not.
- should we be present on the Apple mac appstore?
- The Linux version should make stable releases available through standard linux distribution mechanisms.
Platform specific installer issues 2011
Slicer has three types of storage needs:
- Parameters for the program (such as what layout to start with, how much memory the graphics board has...)
- temporary and permanent data (local data base for the dicom widget, results of processing)
- We should review where these things are stored in each platform and whether they follow best practices for that platform.
- We should review, what customizations we should offer at install time.
- We should offer a registration option at install time (register now, later, never).