The community that relies on 3D Slicer is large and active: (numbers below updated on October 20st, 2021)
- 973,781+ downloads in the last 10 years (194,335 in 2021)
- over 14,800+ literature search results on Google Scholar
- 1,269+ papers on PubMed citing the Slicer platform paper
- Fedorov A., Beichel R., Kalpathy-Cramer J., Finet J., Fillion-Robin J-C., Pujol S., Bauer C., Jennings D., Fennessy F.M., Sonka M., Buatti J., Aylward S.R., Miller J.V., Pieper S., Kikinis R. 3D Slicer as an Image Computing Platform for the Quantitative Imaging Network. Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 2012 Nov;30(9):1323-41. PMID: 22770690. PMCID: PMC3466397.
- 35+ events in open source hackathon series continuously running since 2005 with 3012 total participants
- Slicer Forum with 4,576 subscribers has approximately 275 posts every week
The following is a sample of the research performed in 2020 using 3D Slicer outside of the group that develops it. (Research performed by groups that are also actively developing 3D Slicer is represented in the publication database).
We monitor PubMed and related databases to update these lists, but if you know of other research related to the Slicer community that should be included here please email: marianna (at) bwh.harvard.edu.