This document summarizes the plan to update the infrastructure used to organize the Slicer application and extension packages.
- Update frontend to integrated with Slicer: https://github.com/KitwareMedical/slicer-extensions-webapp/pull/10
- Transition backend from Girder 2.x to 3.x. See https://github.com/girder/slicer_package_manager/pull/78
- Finalize provisioning scripts for deploying backend
- Update Slicer to integrate with new frontend
- Estimated completion: July 23th
- Update download.slicer.org to interface with new backend
- Estimated completion: ??
- Setup netlify project to deploy the frontend (will be available as https://extensions.slicer.org and https://extensions-slicer.netlify.app)
- Estimated completion: July 15th
- Work with Kitware sysadmin to deploy backend (will be available as https://slicer-packages.kitware.com)
- Estimated completion: July 16th
- Setup recurring tasks for uploading of backend webserver log to GitHub project for later processing
- Estimated completion: August 4th
- Engage with our UI team so that we have a consistent theme between the slicer.org landing page and extensions.slicer.org
- Estimated completion: August 15th
- Preliminary version of the frontend implemented. See preview here
- Frontend: https://github.com/KitwareMedical/slicer-extensions-webapp/
- Backend: https://github.com/girder/slicer_package_manager
- Provisioning scripts (internal to Kitware): here
- finalize design and implementation of new extension server (see details below)
- update download.slicer.org to use updated API
- work with sysadmin to setup server instance
- transition data from current system to new system
- update integration with Slicer app
- source code will be available at https://github.com/KitwareMedical/slicer-extensions-webapp
- display only extensions (it will not replace download.slicer.org)
- use standard web/js library (
- no direct dependency on Girder
- leverage the backend API
- deployed using netlify - this will allow anyone in the community to submit PR and look at preview
- URL will be https://extensions.slicer.org
- leverage the existing work. See https://slicer-package-manager.readthedocs.io/en/latest/user_guide.html
- deployed by Kitware Sysadmin and publicly available as https://slicer-packages.kitware.com
- Also discussed the possibility of hosting this on Digital Ocean to allow maintenance with community. But this would likely make backup of the database and restoring of the system more complex.
- used to manage both application and extension packages
- extension download stats will be simple download count per Extension per release
- web server logs associated with the backend would be uploaded daily to a private Github project. This would allow the community to generate detailed stats. Similarly to what is done with mhalle/slicer4-download/slicer4-parselogs
- ideally Slicer package will be uploaded as GitHub release assets by the build machine and only a URL would be uploaded to Girder. The backend would return a redirect code
The current infrastructure is on "life-support":
- the operating system is out-dated, we are working with sysadmin to update it while keeping an older php version (which itself will go end-of-life by the end of the year)
- we are having more and more failed upload because the server require more and more memory.
- more and more user are reporting problems with failed upload and download.
During the past two years, we have been working toward phasing out the aging Midas based server used to host, serve and manage Slicer application and extension packages.
- (1) We now have a Girder plugin for the backend (meaning API endpoints and database interaction). See https://slicer-package-manager.readthedocs.io
- (2) We also experimented with few prototype regarding the extension manager but have nothing production ready.
(1) and (2) were done by one of our former intern Pierre Assemat and was funded by the D&A group.